The Englewood Community Redevelopment Area (CRA) includes part of Englewood in Sarasota County.
CRA is a public agency created to promote improvements and redevelopment in the area.
Legal Description of the Englewood CRA
All that part Township 40 South, ranges 19 and 20 East of Sarasota County, Florida more particularly described as follows:
Sections 26, 30, 31, 32 and the South 1/2 of Section 19, Township 40 South, Range 20 East and Sections 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 35 and 36, Township 40 South, Range 19 East and that part of Sections 14, and 15, Township 40, Range 19 East that lies westerly of the center line of Englewood Road (State Road 776) and southerly of the meandering center line of Forked Creek, beginning at the intersection of said center line of Forked Creek and the center line of Englewood Road (State Road 776) thence run southwesterly along the center line of Forked Creek and its southwesterly extension to the southwest corner of Section 15, Township 40, Range 19 East, Sarasota County, Florida.
If you have any questions or suggestions, call the Contact Center at 941-861-5000, and ask for the Englewood CRA.
Englewood overlooks beautiful Lemon Bay, straddling the unincorporated areas of Sarasota and Charlotte counties. Englewood is harbored by several small islands and offers outstanding beaches. The Englewood Community Redevelopment Area (CRA) includes the Sarasota County part of Englewood.
Englewood offers a variety of cultural events, nature parks, beaches, fishing and boating, while retaining its small-town atmosphere.
Englewood is more than 100 years old. Artifacts found at the Indian Mound Park date back as far as 400 B.C. and the Englewood area may have been inhabited by the Calusa Indians.
Today, Englewood's permanent population is approaching 50,000. During season, the number is closer to 75,000.
Some key facts include the following:
In 1897, a directory of the Lemon Bay area noted a population of 86.
In 1898, the Englewood area had a population of 250 people and land was selling at $30 an acre.
In 1910, the town of Englewood had a federal census figure of 75 permanent residents and about 50 winter residents.
In 1926, Englewood's first church was built.
In 1927 a bridge was built across Lemon Bay, joining Manasota Key and the Gulf beaches with the mainland.
In 1956, the Sarasota side of Englewood had a part-time sheriff.
In 1958, the post office was the fastest growing in the state, and by 1960 two carriers were hired to deliver the mail to the 2,864 residents.
370 W. Dearborn St., Suite D
Englewood, FL 34223
Debbie Marks, CRA Manager
Mary Kruzel, Community Outreach Specialist
- Annual Report 2005
- Annual Report 2006
- Annual Report 2012
- Annual Report 2013
- Annual Report 2014
- Annual Report 2015
- Application for Storefront Improvement
- Architectural Guidelines Chapter 1
- Architectural Guidelines Chapter 2
- Architectural Guidelines Chapter 3
- Architectural Guidelines Chapter 4
- Architectural Guidelines Chapter 5
- Architectural Guidelines Chapter 6
- Architectural Guidelines Chapter 7
- Architectural Guidelines Chapter 8
- CRA Boundary Map
- CRA Boundary Map detailed
- CRA Plan Update 2014 Final
- Englewood Town Center Map
- Guidelines for Storefront Improvement Program
- Low Impact Design Boards
- Main Street Overlay District
- RCTOD Area Map
- Residential Commercial Transition OverlayDistrict
- Retail Market Analysis Appendix Part 1
- Retail Market Analysis Appendix Part 2
- Retail Market Analysis Chapter 1-7
- Retail Market Analysis Chapter 8-10
- Retail Market Analysis Executive Summary